You can get support to develop your research for intro bio lab modules. We are holding our workshops in conjunction with education and research conferences. This helps faculty who have limited resources for travel to find critical time to develop modules using their research in their lab classes.
Faculty who regularly attend education conferences can bring a research colleague to the conference to attend the workshop and during the conference be introduced to useful content for the education mission of the modules. Faculty who regularly attend disciplinary research conferences can bring an education specialist to attend the workshop and during the conference be introduced to current scientific discoveries to support the research content of the lab modules.
To facilitate this development, we can support the registration and travel of one member of the institutional team who would normally not attend the conference. Please contact us if monetary support is needed for both members of the team. Our national survey of faculty revealed the importance of dedicated and financially-supported time to develop such modules.
Below is a tentative schedule of network workshop meetings where you can get support to develop your research for intro bio lab modules. To participate in a workshop meeting and qualify for travel funds, use the apply link associated with the meeting you are interested in attending. Only one application needs to be submitted per institutional team.
- Association for Biology Laboratory Education (ABLE), June 23-26, Boston – http://www.ableweb.org/conf/able2015/index.htm [Outcomes and Pictures!]
- Ecological Society of America (ESA), August 9-14, Baltimore – http://esa.org/baltimore/ [Outcomes and Pictures]
- American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB), Dec 12-16, San Diego – http://www.ascb.org/2015meeting/ [Outcomes and Pictures]
- Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR), June 25-28, University of South Florida, Tampa – http://www.cur.org/ [Pictures]
- The Allied Genetics Conference (TAGC), July 13-17, Orlando – http://www.genetics2016.org/
- American Society of Microbiology Conference for Undergraduate Educators (ASMCUE), July 26-30, Denver – http://www.asm.org/index.php/asmcue-2017 [More information] [
Apply by April 15Full. Please consider future workshops!]
- National Association of Biology Teachers (NABT), November 9-12, St. Louis – https://www.nabt.org/websites/institution/index.php?p=10 [More information] [Apply by Sept 1]
- Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology (SICB), January 3-7, San Francisco – http://www.sicb.org/meetings/
- Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS), November, TBA – http://www.abrcms.org/
- Society for the Advancement of Biology Education Research (SABER), July, Minneapolis-St. Paul – http://saber-biologyeducationresearch.wikispaces.com/