REIL-Biology hosted a day-long workshop December 12, 2015, preceding the annual meeting of the American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB) conference in San Diego at the Horton Grand Hotel near the convention center.
At the workshop, participants worked with faculty who have experience in course-based research to:
- hear about the benefits of course-based research experiences for students and faculty
- discuss the components of a course-based research experience
- describe barriers to incorporating course-based research experiences in introductory biology at their institution
- learn about strategies for overcoming barriers to implementing course-based research experiences
- work in institutional teams to begin to develop research modules for their introductory biology courses
- discuss approaches to assessing course-based research experiences